Sure Santa might be snoozing on a cot somewhere deep in the South Pacific by now, but holiday-timing is far from being over. This week between family dinner parties, home town reunions and New Years toasts is peek time for those unexpected/last minute party appetizer needs.
Yikes, right?! But now is not the time to stress…now is the time to whip up something effortless that will still impress your guests or host.
It’s possible, trust me.
This year I deconstructed the ideas of a standard yam/sweet potato side dish and took the celery/craisin/nut notes from my family’s traditional stuffing recipe to transform flavors of the season into a bright, unexpected finger food treat.
These yam sliders with tangy celery salad go over like gang busters, which makes me feel a tad bit guilty…like the woman in the Rice Krispies Treats commercials. I feel like I need to emerge from the kitchen, looking weary in a slightly splattered apron just so it didn’t seem that I got off of the hostess hook.
‘Tis the season to wind down and enjoy the slow-life before next year swoops us away in a tizzy. Leave the stress at the door, poor yourself a glass of bubbles and be thankful for all those blessings and learning curves from the year past. Yup…even that learning curve. We all had one or another this year, no shame there.
Wishing you all a very lovely New Year and safe travels — See you in 2013!
Recipe: Yam Sliders With Tangy Celery Salad
- 2 large yams
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- Pecans (optional)
- Goat Cheese
- *Champagne Vinaigrette
- Olive Oil
- Champagne Vinegar
- Whole Grain Mustard
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- Preheat Oven 450
- Slice each yam into 1 inch thick medallions
- Place on a baking sheet covered in oil, salt and pepper and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Flip and bake other side for 5-10 minutes
- Set aside to cool
- For dressing whisk vinegar, olive oil (2:1 ratio – add additional vinegar to taste, should be tart), 1/2 lemon juice and 1 TBS whole grain mustard. Cracked pepper to taste.
- Add sliced celery, chopped parsley, craisins and pecans into a bowl, toss with dressing
- Assemble salad on top of medallions and sprinkle goat cheese on before serving
Looking for a couple more easy appetizer ideas before the ball drops?
I’ve got small bites with big flavor happening over here!
Powered by Facebook Comments